Friday, March 14, 2014

Catching up on my cookbook Challenge

With the traveling and business the last couple of weeks I got a little behind on posting the recipes I've done. So to help me catch up I decided it would help releave some stress to post a few together :) Who doesn't appreciate a shortcut here and there in life, right?!  Before I left for my trip here are some fo the recipes I undertook with successful results: 

Breakfast Pizza:
This was yummy, but since mornings are busy around here I pefer to spend time making food that saves for the rest of the week. Maybe I slipped up in how I stored this but it was not very good leftover. But for a one-time breakfast it was delicious! 
Recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/breakfast-pizza.html#!

Which included making the Pizza Dough:
Recipe: 
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/02/my-favorite-pizza/

Restaurant-Style Salsa:
Delicious and easy! I just threw it together in my blender and stored it in that same blender :) (not having a dishwasher makes you find lots of shortcuts) 

Recipe: 
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/

Tequila Lime Chicken:
Yum! I do have to admit I had my husband help me because I don't like using our stovetop grill pan-thing. It fill the entire house with smoke. It takes a team, that's for sure! He cooks and I run around the house with a dish towel trying to keep that insanely ear-killing annoying fire alarm from going off. It's pretty ridiculous. Armed with fans and dish clothes we were able to make this recipe happen :) 
Recipe: 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/tequila-lime-chicken-recipe.html#!

Mexican Rice:
Not my favorite but only because I married a Cuban man who made me fall in love with the simple yet divine taste of white rice. But it may be right up your ally so give it a try and see what you think.... cause ya know with movies & food, everyone has a VERY different opinion ;) 
Recipe: 
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/11/good-ol-basic-mexican-rice/

Honey-Plum-Soy Chicken:
Honestly, dark meat scares me the way swimming in dark water does. You have no idea what your swimming with. Well, I feel that I have no idea what mysteries of the chicken I'm eating in the dark meat. White meat is like that safe feeling of seeing my toes in crystal clear water...ahh yes please! 
Nonetheless, I bravely marched forward & made this dark meat recipe.....ummmm.....next time I'll try it with chicken breast.... The flavor was so good but I look forward to trying it again with safe clear white meat, ha! :) 
(Excuse the lame photo, it was an on-the-go dinner night) 

Recipe: 
  • 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
  • 3 cups red wine
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 13 oz. jar plum preserves
  • 1 cup honey
  • 1 20 oz. bottle soy sauce*
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 plums, pitted and chopped, plus 1 plum, pitted and thinly sliced
  • 12 ounces egg noodles
  • 3 green onions, sliced
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Put the chicken thighs in a large bowl. Pour in 2 cups of the red wine.
  2. Add the bay leaves, toss to coat, and marinate for 1 hour in the fridge.
  3. In a separate bowl, add the plum preserves, honey and soy sauce, whisk to combine and set aside.
  4. Heat the olive oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the wine, then brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
  5. Reduce the heat to medium-low, then add the garlic. Stir it around in the bottom of the pan for a couple of minutes to release the flavor.
  6. Add the remaining cup of wine, chopped plums and honey plum soy mixture.
  7. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 1½ to 2 hours until the chicken is falling off the bone.
  8. Cook the noodles according to the package directions and place on a large platter.
  9. Spoon the chicken and at least half the cooking liquid over the noodles.
  10. Serve the noodles and chicken on plates. Garnish with the plum slices and a sprinkling of sliced green onion and have little bowls of the cooking liquid on the table so people can spoon on more if desired.

("The Pioneer Woman Cooks, Food from my Frontier" ) 


No comments:

Post a Comment